Wednesday, June 22, 2016

How's this all going to work together?

I've been throwing around a lot of boxes, boards and ideas... but I hadn't really technically nailed down how all these parts fit together and if they do actually fit together.  Good news... it does, and very simply and I can leverage existing software for 90% of the functionality.

The key to this are two Arduino Mini ATMega32U4 based controllers.  The first is one is obvious... SportVFR's, collecting engine and airspeed data.  That data is sent to Android device via serial communications on a dedicated USB.  This could potentially be Bluetooth, that is a future development.

As I started composing this architecture, I found I was missing two interfaces... First, the pilot's joystick input to the CarPC (programmable stick buttons).  Second, the interface to the Naze was not very robust.  Sure, I can connect via USB and run in a pseudo config/command mode.  But ideally, you want a dedicated processor feeding serial inputs to the Naze acting as though it is a R/C receiver.  This is perfect for translating the high-level AP commands form the Android to the Naze... I'll have a post on the AP commanding next.

No comments:

Post a Comment