Saturday, March 12, 2016

Going mobile

I recently received a kick starter project I funded called Spark Electron


I've been scratching my head trying to figure out a useful project for this marvel.  It's uses the digital cell phone system to transmit data to a server where you can easily generate web interactive solutions.

I think I found a useful purpose... SportVFR.  It can transmit telemetry data over the digital cell network.

I see some great uses for this board:


  • GPS breadcrumbs digital ELT (emergency locator transmitter)
  • Trending data for the engine
  • Automatic logbook

By periodically transmitting my GPS location to the server. These can be picked up and in case of off field landing, my emergency contact will be able to direct services to my exact location immediately.

One of the nice things about this board is that it comes with a LiPo battery, and it can be powered by the battery or vehicle power.

The big drawback is cost at $60 and $3/mo for the digital cell service.  While not cheap, what's the price of safety?  And really, I already have the board and need a project for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment